Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Today and the Environment

Today I spent the day chopping trees and branches to make some room for the new hot tub. M dug the trench for the electrical lines. It was a long day and I am a bit soar. I cannot quit yet though. I have to get back out and chop some more tomorrow. I am cutting it all up to use in the fireplace over the winter.

So far I cut down two rather large trees, and several enormous branches in the back. The interesting part is that I did it all with a hand saw. I refuse to purchase a power saw and add more pollution, to our already polluted environment.

I realize a chainsaw is minor, but we have to start somewhere. I have already done a bunch of other environmental stuff. For example, I ride a bicycle, or walk, instead of driving my car when I can to help reduce the amount of CO2 I put in the air. Having an electric bicycle makes riding much more particle over longer distances. I recycle everything possible.

We recently started using a compost pile for table scraps as well. It makes a big difference for the landfills. Food scraps berried deep in a landfill do not biodegrade properly and produce methane gases, which is 1/3 of the ozone pollutants we are currently having problems with.

Yes, I know, cutting down trees isn't the best thing for the environment either. Keep in mind I will plant at least 2 trees for everyone I chop down.

Since I am writing about the environment I might as well mention I just read Al Gore's new book, "An Inconvenient Truth". It is a great read and I highly recommend it. I am looking forward to getting the movie on DVD.